November 24, 2009

Ultraman 2009 Training Part 4 – October 31-November 1, 2009

Last weekend was a shorter recovery weekend. On Saturday I completed a “short” 95mile ride with a 4 mile brick run and on Sunday I “only” ran 22 miles at brick run pace. The Ultraman training is coming to the end, its almost race time! This weekend is probably the last pure training weekend, next week I'll follow by an iron-distance race (Beach 2 Battleship) or by a regular long ride/long run weekend. Now to the Halloween Business at hand.

SaturdaySince the race is getting close the typical long power interval ride was replaced with some fast cadence interval sets. OF COURSE the weather gods kept their consistency…rain and pretty steady rain it was almost pouring. Sometimes I feel that these workouts should count as swim workouts as well. Also if I hear one more time that “we need the rain” I think I'll tie that person behind my bike, and will drag them around for 100 miles and of course I will make them wear a speedo!!! I do not have a corn field behind my house so I do NOT need 10 inches of rain per week. In case you are wondering my bike looks like a fighter jet in the cockpit with various computers and information gathering devices. Because it was raining so hard it was hard to see my navigational instruments so I ended up basically doing the entire ride as one big interval

Bike/swim workout was done, and yet again followed by a short brick run.

SundayAhhh…Are you ready for some football running. Again to not break consistency Sunday is long run day. However not being sure of my plans for next weekend…I know you are suppose to decide less than 6 days out whether or not you are going to compete in an Ironman but then again who is sane that does Ultraman…I set my plan to do a 33 mile run. I planned to push the pace for the first 22 miles (2x11 mile loop) and then ease up to a moderate effort on the last 11 mile loop. The first 22 miles went great, sub 6:40's felt very comfortable to almost easy, the consistency is working! When I started the last 11 mile loop – the mileage felt still easy/moderate and I hit the marathon point in the mid 2:50's, so that wasn’t bad either. After that; as usually; the miles and mental games started to set in. I realized how much of this is mental and that it is almost easier to keep up the faster pace. However, I didn't want to over do it so finished the last loop in just under 7 minute pace. This as the fastest long run to date for my Ultraman build so it really boosted my confidence.

After this long run I checked the weather report, it supposed to be in the low 50's to upper 60's next weekend , so “I'll just race an ironman instead of training”, it seems a lot easier.

Nutrition Report for the long run: 3 Red Bulls (to see if I can stomach all the stimulation drinks during the run); 1 liter of EFS Grape Prototype; 1 liter of “Kotland Cocktail’; 1 liter of water. No liquid shots this week – it would make it for too many calories for this run.

Well the next update will be from the island (or from home afterwords). Aloha and Mahola.



No comments: